Bakessential: Back to Basics

Sunday, May 16, 2010

Back to Basics

To kick start an entry for this blog I've decided to, as the title says, "Back to Basics". Which means we will be looking into the most fundamentals of baking. These includes where to source for all your ingredients and tools for baking.

I would divide this post into 3 different parts:

-Fancy Higher Price range of Baking Supplies
-Budget Economical range of Baking Supplies
-Current supplies I own personally

FANCY HIGHER PRICE RANGE OF BAKING SUPPLIES

I would personally recommend
1) Pantry Magic [Holland Village]
2) Bake it Yourself [Bukit Timah]
3) Culina [Bukit Timah and Orchard Boulevard]

Pantry Magic


They sell a wide array of everything you might need for baking, which includes baking tools such as silicon/wooden spatula, cutters, recipe books, cast iron and silicon bakeware. The Baking supplies sold there can be a little pricey, for example for a really good bottle of pure bourbon vanilla essence can cost up to S$30.



Personal experience at Pantry Magic [Holland Village]: There was a in house chef when I was there and he was extremely helpful with all the questions I have asked regarding the baking tools I intended to buy that day. The Staff attending the store was very friendly as well.
Store Display was very homely, colourful and well organised, which make it easier and more convenient for me to get exactly what I want.

Exact Address: 43 Jalan Merah Saga,
Chip Bee Gardens #01-80,
Holland Village, Singapore 278115

Bake it Yourself


For those people out there who love to decorate their bake goods with fancy fondants or beautifully printed cupcake papers. This is the place to go to get your supplies. They sell a vast selection of icing and food colours, hard to find baking and decoration work tools and edible cake decoration desserts and much more.

Everything you need to make goodies such as

(photos credits: i am baker )
you can get it from bake it yourself!

Exact Address: 182 Bukit Timah Road

Singapore 229853


Culina



Culina sells mostly imported ingredients and goods from europe. They are the best bet when you are looking for good quality ingredients!


Exact Adress: 617 Bukit Timah Road (Next to Coronation Plaza)

Singapore 269718

Budget Economical Range of Baking Supplies

Places I go for my Supplies:
1) Phoon Huat, Red Man [Holland Village, Clementi]
2) Cold Storage [Holland Village]

Phoon Huat, Red Man


Sells all baking Supplies at a reasonable price. If you're looking for baking tools, storage or ingredients you can find everything here.

Exact Address: Blk 44, Jalan Merah Saga, #01-48
Chip Bee Garden, Singapore 278116

Cold Storage [Holland Village]

I buy most of my baking ingredients from cold storage as they sell lots of imported goods as well. Cheese, Flour and Good quality vanilla essence which could not be found in any other super markets could be found here!

Current Supplies I own Personally

Some of the commonly used tools and baking supplies that would linger around my house would be Gold Medal's All Purpose Flour, Varlhona 65% Chocolate, President Unsalted butter, Tudor Gold Cocoa Powder and Virginia Dare Pure Vanilla Essence.







Some Tools would include Stainless Steel Measuring Cups and Spoons, My trusty Silicon Spatula, 12 Muffin Tins, 9"x9 Brownie Tin, Bread Tin and Cookie Racks




My collection of baking supplies is actually pretty incomplete! Someday I shall buy every essential tool and equipment for my baking. But remember to buy wisely, you don't need every size of baking pans and every food colouring! Just buy what you think you would use often. Another reminder is that good quality ingredients would produce better bake goods!

I hoped this post about where you could get all your baking supplies from is help to you.

4 comments:

  1. I can see that you are really into baking. Thanks for sharing about the various places. I hope that you will be sharing more on your personal interest in baking - like how you got into it and what inspires your baking, etc.

    Do check the formatting and fonts, etc. Also, check on internal post links and blogroll.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The places you suggested looks interesting. The shops don't look like they are located in Singapore!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I noticed you have used some of my images on your blog... can you please make sure you are giving proper credit where it is due? Like, "I took these pictures from 'i am baker' the blog address is, http://iammommy.typepad.com/i_am_baker

    Thank you!

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey amanda. yea so sorry about it! credits done =)

    ReplyDelete